Yet again, we’re in for near-record high temperatures today and tomorrow — after that, the weather turns chilly this weekend, so buckle up for a ride on the weather roller-coaster. The heart of this unusually warm weather pattern will be anchored just to our west today, and pretty much directly overhead tomorrow:
Temperatures Friday will also top out near 80° — probably just a degree or so warmer than today, thanks to strong winds from the southwest…our third straight day of near-record high temperatures:
Estimated wind speeds Friday afternoon aren’t sufficient for a wind advisory, but it will be a breezy day overall:
A good chance of showers and non-severe thunderstorms moves in Friday evening and overnight — I think the RPM model has a good handle on the overall pattern, showing the showers and storms diminishing in intensity as they move in from the west after sunset:
Rainfall amounts won’t be substantial enough to bring an end to the drought conditions, but beggars can’t be choosers:
The latest update from the U.S. Drought Monitor, released this morning, shows the entire Midstate in “severe drought,” with “extreme” drought in some of our southern and eastern counties:
The weather will be substantially cooler this weekend, with highs only in the low to mid 50s, and lows dropping to near freezing by Sunday morning.
Another chance of rain heads our way Tuesday night and Wednesday — once again, not a drought-buster, but we’ll take what we can get! At this point, it looks like the rain will be out of here in time for Thanksgiving.
- Towards the end of this article, some educated-guessing about the long-range weather pattern in December — a radical change in the weather pattern over North America?
- The increasingly-ludicrous “debate” around climate change has largely divided along political lines in recent years, but the international effort to mitigate climate change actually began under the leadership of Republican presidents.
- Evidence is mounting for an ocean of slushy water at Pluto, buried beneath its frozen heart-shaped feature.
- Here’s an weird one: Scientists discover the roundest object ever spotted in universe.
- There’s an iPhone case that will let your Apple product run Android.
- The things you remember best happened when you were between 15 and 25 — regardless of how far you are from that age range now.
- Medical nerdiness: a new pill delivers medication days or weeks after it’s swallowed.
- The secret to losing weight may be less about food and more about environment.
- Why don’t figure skaters get dizzy when they spin?
- There’s a new Google Chrome extension that will block fake-news sites for you. (Think I’ll install this on my parents’ computer ASAP…)
- I’m skeptical of this until another study replicates the results, but it’s exciting nonetheless: a new study says deep-frying vegetables makes them more nutritious.