Yesterday’s weather was nothing short of spectacular. Very nice weather in store for us most of today, with temperatures warming up quickly to around 80° this afternoon.
Abundant sunshine through early afternoon will give way to increasing clouds by this evening, with a chance of spotty showers around sunset, mostly north/east of I-24. The HRRR model shows that pattern, and also shows how light the showers will be:
Grab the umbrella just in case, but I wouldn’t count on any free lawn-watering this evening.
Another wave of cooler air settles in the next couple of days, with spotty showers still possible Thursday and Friday, and high temperatures only in the upper 60s to around 70°. The culprit will be an upper-level storm system centered to our north — little spokes of energy will rotate around that and spark the hit-and-miss showers:
We’re still monitoring an area of disturbed weather in the tropical Atlantic — this will likely be classified as a tropical depression within the next 24 hours, and it looks like it will rapidly reach tropical storm or even hurricane strength by the weekend:
The next name on the list (tropical systems get a name when they reach tropical storm strength) is “Matthew.” The spaghetti plot of various forecast models brings the strengthening storm into the Caribbean this weekend…
…then most of the model guidance forecasts a sharp right turn, taking the storm due north over Cuba, the Bahamas, and near the east coast of the United States:
That quick turn might look weird, but it matches up with the bigger picture — an area of high pressure that will be weakening, allowing potential-Matthew to make its move:
It’s waaaaaaaaaay too soon to put much faith in forecast model guidance that’s looking 7-10 days into the future — but this one has our attention, and we’ll keep a close eye on it.
- For the second time this month, a strong typhoon hit Taiwan.
- A known impact of climate changes is the increase in heavy rain events. But there’s a gross side effect — more sewage overflows.
- A black moon will rise Friday night…what is that?
- Elon Musk unveiled a very ambitious plan to send colonists to Mars. I’ll say this much — he dreams BIG.
- So, do Earth laws apply on Mars?
- NASA announced that astronomers have found new evidence that a subsurface ocean within Jupiter’s icy moon Europa may be venting plumes of water vapor into space. So that subsurface ocean might be more accessible for study than previously thought.
- Could religion be the motivating factor that eventually drives humanity’s expansion farther into space?
- In just two days, the Rosetta probe will crash into the comet it’s been shadowing.
- Take a gander at the highest-resolution astronomical image ever taken.
- Some heavy reading, but it’s interesting: some physicists say that gravity’s effects kick in too slowly to account for a universal arrow of time.
- A vaccine for the common cold might be possible.
- Among other topics not adequately discussed in Monday’s presidential debate: technology.
- There are going to be a bunch of sci-fi movies released soon — most of the ones on this list look pretty interesting.