Get ready for some “weather whiplash” over the next several days, with March-like temperatures transitioning to June-like temperatures in time for the weekend. We’ll be on the cool side today, with high temperatures climbing to around 70 before rain moves in from the north:
Showers will become likely from late morning through the afternoon, with a few non-severe thunderstorms mixed in as well. Futurecast seems to have a decent handle on the timing:
Don’t be surprised if you see some small hail out of the strongest storms — not because the storms will be all that strong, but because the upper levels of the atmosphere will be so COLD. The small hailstones won’t encounter enough warm air on the trip to the ground to be able to melt. I doubt they’ll be big enough (1″+) to cause any damage or prompt any severe thunderstorm warnings.
The cold front that’s driving today’s rain chances is being pushed along by a big dip in the jet stream, which will unleash some almost-chilly temperatures on us Thursday and Thursday night.
We’ll start in the 40s Thursday morning…
…and we’ll only warm up to the low to mid 60s Thursday afternoon — well below-average! Eastern Middle Tennessee might not even crack 60 degrees:
We’ll see more clouds than sunshine throughout the day (much like yesterday), with a slight shower chance east of I-65.
The coolest temperatures will occur Friday morning, but we’ll bounce back to the mid 70s Friday afternoon, and mid 80s over the weekend — that’s a 41-degree difference in less than 36 hours between Friday morning and Saturday afternoon!
I can’t rule out a shower or storm this weekend, but look at it this way — a 20% rain chance means an 80% chance of staying dry. I’m not totally convinced of even that 20% chance…a “ridge” of high pressure will control our weather this weekend:
That means that the atmosphere will be pushing down on us, and also pushing down on any showers that try to bubble up. We’ll keep you posted…but I wouldn’t bother adjusting any Mother’s Day plans.
Some good brain food for you today…
- It’s been a slow start to the month of May for tornado activity nationwide — but does that slow start mean anything for the rest of the month?
- Severe thunderstorms hit Washington DC on Monday, giving amateur photographers the chance to capture some amazing images.
- For you serious weather nerds, here’s a nice breakdown of how the DC storms became such big hail-makers.
- A gigantic wildfire is torching parts of the Canadian province of Alberta — some of the pictures are terrifying.
- That part of Alberta is very close to the heart of Canada’s oilsands industry, so don’t be surprised if gas prices go up.
- Meanwhile, drought-stricken California will get some very welcome rain this week.
- Most people assume that human migration prompted by climate change will only occur in third-world countries…but some Americans are being forced to move as well.
- New data shows that Arctic sea ice is 15% thinner than it was at this point last year.
- Scientists are drilling into the giant crater created by the asteroid/comet that killed off the dinosaurs.
- NASA has had a spacecraft orbiting the dwarf planet Ceres for over a year now…here’s a nice summary of what researchers have learned.
- How do black holes affect the development of galaxies?
- Scientists are learning lessons about human obesity by studying fat Labrador Retrievers.
- I’m all for this idea: Japan is ramping up production of hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles.
- “Hamilton” was nominated for 16 Tony awards…here’s the science of why the soundtrack to the musical is so addictive.
- Bourbon is more complex than you imagined: a booze-soaked (and amusing) chronicle of a trip through Makers Mark country.